Flavorful – Everything but what you don’t want in a bagel… the gluten.
These morsels of bread heaven will quickly quell your thirst for a sandwich.
So grab your scales, weigh your ingredients, and put a pot of water on the stove. These bagels are cooked in two stages – poached then oven-baked. In under an hour you’ll have a batch of bagels to match any you’ll find in a bakery.
Top with any salad, meat or cream cheese filling you desire, and get your proper bagel fix today. And hey – if you love these as much as we do – please Pin the image below & join our Facebook page for loads more recipes, information & updates.
Step 1: Mix dry and wet ingredients
Add all the dry ingredients to a mixing bowl. If using a stand mixer – mix the dry ingredients using the whisk attachment on medium-low for 2 minutes. Remove the whisk and replace with a paddle attachment. If mixing by hand – mix well to aerate.
In a separate bowl add in your egg whites and beat with a fork until it gets light a foamy (soft peaks).
Measure milk – add the lemon juice and honey and stir to combine. Pour the milk mixture into your dry ingredients and mix to combine (medium speed). Now add in the egg whites and continue to mix on med-high for 5 minutes.
Step 2: Prepare Poaching Liquid
Set a saucepan filled with water on the stove-top. Turn the heat up to high and add in the salt and honey. Once the water is boiling turn it down to a rolling simmer.
Step 3: Portion and Mould Dough
Scoop out the dough onto a well-floured work bench. Divide the dough into 6 (for small) or 4 (for large bagels).
Roll each piece of dough into a ball on your workbench, using as much or little flour as needed as you go. Once you have formed into balls, press your thumb in the center and wriggle it around to create the bagel hole.
Preheat your oven to 180 degrees.
Step 4: Poach Bagels
Place a bagel in the poaching liquid and cook for 2 minutes*. Remove from the water and pat dry on a clean tea towel.
Transfer the poached bagels to a lined baking tray.
*You can poach more than one bagel at a time, but be careful not to crowd the pot.
Step 5: Dress and Bake Bagels
Brush the tops of the bagels with the egg wash and sprinkle with your topping mix of seeds, salt and herbs – or leave them plain.
Place in the oven and bake for 25-30 minutes.
Step 6: Cool and Serve
Turn off the oven and allow the bagels to sit for an additional 10 minutes with the door open.
Remove the tray from the oven and allow bagels to cool on your counter – but you don’t have to wait until they’re completely cooled before eating.
Slice and top with all your favorite bagel garnishes. We chose a variety of tasty bagel sandwiches with veggies smoked salmon, spinach and cream cheese.
What will you top your bagel with? If you don’t eat all the bagels on baking day, freeze them to keep the quality.
- 100 grams rice flour
- 50 grams buckwheat flour
- 70 grams tapioca starch
- 50 grams potato starch
- 2 teaspoons psyllium husk
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon honey
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon lemon juice
- ¼ teaspoon baking powder
- 150 ml milk
- 2 tablespoons melted butter
- 2 egg whites
- ½ teaspoon mixed dry herbs
- ½ teaspoon dill
- 1 teaspoon dried or fresh chives (chopped)
- ¾ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¾ teaspoon onion powder
- gluten-free flour of choice for dusting
- Poaching Liquid
- 1.5-2 liters water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon honey
- Add all the dry ingredients to a bowl and mix well.
- In a separate bowl whisk egg whites until they form soft peaks.
- Measure out your milk and add the lemon juice and honey and add to dry ingredients. Mix well.
- Pour in egg whites and whisk well (for 5 minutes if using a stand mixer).
- Prepare your poaching liquid. Set a saucepan filled with water on the cook top. Turn the heat up to high and add in the salt and honey. Once the water is boiling turn it down to a rolling simmer.
- Scoop out the dough onto a well-floured bench. Portion into 4 or 6, and roll into balls. Use your thumb to press a hole in the middle of each.
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees celsius.
- Place bagels one or two at a time in the poaching liquid and cook for 2 minutes. Remove from the water and pat dry on a clean tea towel. Transfer the poached bagels to a lined baking tray.
- Brush the tops of the bagels with the egg wash and sprinkle with your everything topping mix or leave them plain. Place in the oven and bake for 25-30 minutes.
- Turn off the oven and allow the bagels to sit for a further 10 minutes in the heat.
- Cool or serve warm with your favorite toppings.
And for the Everything Topping Mix: sesame seeds, poppy seeds, coarse sea salt, garlic powder, onion powder (or flakes), mixed dry herbs.